Re: [netatalk-admins] adding IDE drive to scsi system

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] adding IDE drive to scsi system
From: Russell E Glaue (russ@cait.org)
Date: Fri Sep 24 1999 - 14:10:15 EDT

This question is not for this list, you should consult the Linux FAQs to
answer this very common situation.

The Bios of the MotherBoard are set to boot up on the IDE first then the
SCSI. If you have a later and advanced motherboard you may have the option
to have the Bios boot from the SCSI first, then IDE.
Your bios boot setting may be: FLOPPY, CD-ROM, SCSI, IDE, NETWORK.
If you do not have this option, you'll have to stick with the IDE, which
means setting up the MBR on the IDE. Or boot from a floppy.

For further info, check out the Linux FAQs.
                                                -----russ-----

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Wagner One wrote:

> The linux machine on which I run netatalk is exclusivly scsi and I would
> like to add an IDE drive to the mix (cheaper, bigger, etc.). I installed it
> this morning on the primary IDE bus set as "device 0 master" and immediatly
> the machine attempted to boot from the IDE drive instead of the scsi drives
> (which are on a 2940). I poked around in the bios setup a little, but didn't
> see anything right away as to how to force it to boot from another device. I
> assume this is the way it has to be done or is there another workaround?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> --
> Mike Wagner - A bad Dead show is better than a good day at work...
> wagner@enteract.com, wagner@well.com, wagner@teamschoeps.org

 Russell E Glaue, Technologies Engineer / IT Manager russ@cait.org
 Center for the Application of Information Technologies
 101 Horrabin Hall, 1 University Circle, Macomb, Illinois 61455
 http://www.cait.org http://cait.wiu.edu