Re: [netatalk-admins] newbie question about shared dirs

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] newbie question about shared dirs
From: Sean /The RIMBoy/ (sean@rimboy.com)
Date: Wed Oct 06 1999 - 04:36:54 EDT

Another approach to take is to set their Group ID (GID) the same. In my
case, I have the directory that I want others to see in my home directory.
If I want others to see that directory, I change their GID to my GID, and
then make a static link in their home directory to the directory I want
them to see.

Sean...

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999 jcurtis@mpg.com wrote:

> One thing to remember is that unix/linux is a multi-user env. That means that if
> you put a file in a dir and and your buddy logs in and tries to get the file he
> will not be able to because it is owned by you. What I have done in the past is
> when I made a user (foobar) I made him id 400 (just for example) then if I want
> to also give (feebar) access to the same files I also give him id 400. That
> means that 2 users share ids but have different logins. You could also make it
> so the default create permissions for the group are rwx and make both users the
> same group.
>
> If there are some other ways I would like to hear them just for future
> reference.......
>
> Johua

Everything you know is wrong,
Just forget the words and sing along. --Weird Al
Through the server, over the router, off the firewall... Nothing but 'Net!