Re: [netatalk-admins] HELP PLEASE!!!!

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] HELP PLEASE!!!!
From: Brian Bergstrand (brian@stingray.cso.niu.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 16:49:43 EDT

> Sorry i should of made it a little more clear. The server is being
accessed via
> the internet and a t1 (its behing a firewall) by customers to
leave files for
> us. Then internally we use macs and pcs to get the files from the
server. The
> problem is that if the macs have the directory open then a file
comes in they do
> not know it untill they close the window and open it back up. I
would like it to
> automaticlly refresh the window and not have to do that.
>
> Joshua

The problem is not with netatalk, and technically it is not a
problem, but expected behavior.
Since another machine is adding files to the directory (in this case
your ftp clients), there is
no way for the Mac to know that a file has been added without
reading the directory again.
The same behavior exists on windows, or for that matter any OS.
Windows has a Refresh (F5) menu
to deal with this situation, and I guess you could argue that the
Mac could use one too.

They are a couple of ways to deal with this situation.
1. Open and close the window.
2. Create a new file in the folder, so the OS will read the
directory again.
3. Write an Applescript to automatically close and re-open the
window. Using the
free cron-like iDo Scheduler (included on the OS8.6 CD) you can run
this script every
five minutes.

HTH.

--
Brian Bergstrand
Systems Programmer, Northern Illinois University