Re: [netatalk-admins] HELP PLEASE!!!!

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] HELP PLEASE!!!!
From: jcurtis@mpg.com
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 20:54:36 EDT

Thanks everyone.

 I just downloaded cron for macintosh and wrote a small applescript that will
create a folder then delete it which updates the window to be run once every
couple minutes.

Joshua

At 01:49 PM 10/28/99 -0700, you wrote:
>The problem is not with netatalk, and technically it is not a
>problem, but expected behavior.
>Since another machine is adding files to the directory (in this case
>your ftp clients), there is
>no way for the Mac to know that a file has been added without
>reading the directory again.
>The same behavior exists on windows, or for that matter any OS.
>Windows has a Refresh (F5) menu
>to deal with this situation, and I guess you could argue that the
>Mac could use one too.
>
>They are a couple of ways to deal with this situation.
>1. Open and close the window.
>2. Create a new file in the folder, so the OS will read the
>directory again.
>3. Write an Applescript to automatically close and re-open the
>window. Using the
>free cron-like iDo Scheduler (included on the OS8.6 CD) you can run
>this script every
>five minutes.

Another solution which works for us is to change our sort order in the
window periodically (just click the date, and then click back on the
name). Of course, you need to have them listed by name, but it seems to
work for us (Mac OS 8.6),

Tony
* Anthony Brock abrock@georgefox.edu *
* Director of Network Services George Fox University *