[netatalk-admins] Guests and .AppleDouble

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Guests and .AppleDouble
From: Oliver Hitz (Oliver.Hitz@unifr.ch)
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 07:22:50 EST

Hi,

We have a problem with guests accessing netatalk volumes. Files cannot be
read if the .AppleDouble directory does not exist and the guestuser
doesn't have write access. Even copying the file onto the desktop does not
work. As soon as the .AppleDouble directory and the corresponding resource
fork file exist or the .AppleDouble directory is writable by the guest
user, the file can be read.

We have got the following messages in the syslog. I think they are related
to this problem:

  afpd[3803]: getforkparams: ad_refresh: I/O error
  afpd[3803]: afp_openfork: ad_open: I/O error

We already have the noadouble option in the configuration. If I have
correctly understood the documentation, this should force netatalk only to
create a .AppleDouble file if required. I don't understand why it tries to
open or create a resource fork for a simple .zip file we want to copy?

Any help is greatly appreciated. By the way, we are using
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3.

Regards

Oliver