Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk performance

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk performance
From: Marcus Radich (marcus@darena.co.nz)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 14:54:25 EST

I have not found the permissions to be an issue using the Linux User
and Groups. Earlier on it was an issue, but not a major now. I still
have minor problems with the Trash, but it is generally not a
show-stopping issue. I always present the issues to the client before
I do the upgrade. Generally a promise of 2-3 times speed increase
shadows any minor issues - but they are aware. If you explain the
issues BEFOREHAND, most people are very happy with the result.

On 8/11/99, Harry Zink/Netatalk List wrote:
>on 11/8/1999 11:08 AM, Marcus Radich at marcus@darena.co.nz wrote:
>
> > This is part of a service I call a "NT Upgrade", which boosts the Mac
> > studio 2 to 3 times over the same hardware running WinNT. I have over
> > 20 sites running this way.
>
>How do you set up/handle the permissions, which I've found to be the bane of
>existence most of the time, as well as the Network Trash Problem (this needs
>to be deleted immediately)?
>
>I want to set up more of my clinets this way, but those are still issues
>(albeit the alias issue seems to be taken care of by 2.1.4.pre36.)
>
>Harry

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer."
                Marcus Radich 1999

This message has been checked with GRIMEsweeper which has detected a virus
embedded in this plain text message. You should now delete your entire hard
drive and rinse your eyes with soapy water to ensure it doesn't spread.