Re: [netatalk-admins] ne2000: when cheap ain't worth it.

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] ne2000: when cheap ain't worth it.
From: Sean /The RIMBoy/ (sean@rimboy.com)
Date: Sat Nov 13 1999 - 22:43:13 EST

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, chuck wrote:

> Quoting Sean /The RIMBoy/ (sean@rimboy.com):
> > When in doubt, use a NE2000... sure the performance stinks, but they work.
>
> When thinking about getting an ne2000, grab a staplegun and have at
> your feet. The OpenBSD list (and others) constantly get notes about "I
> bought a US$10.00 ne2000 card (or clone) and I get slower throughput
> that my modem (with PEP). Oh yeah, it crashes a lot."

I would attribute it to BSD... I am running it under linux, have run it
under Win, and have had zero problems with a variety of manufacturers of
those cards. I have never seen slower than modem performance on anything
(then again, I dont run BSD). I did think I made it clear that if
performance matters, then consider something else. Otherwise, they work.
With with just about anything (except BSD I guess).

>Work uses Intel cards, mine works fine, haven't heard much
> else from the rest of the co.

I have had problems trying to get intel cards working properly under 98,
and I think they are overpriced. Again, Netgear's offering has done well,
and if performance matters, I might then consider a 3com.

Incidentally, the 3com cards generate these messages upon bootup:

Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035
eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, 10baseT port, IRQ 10.
3c509.c:1.16 2/3/98 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 2 addresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 3 addresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 4 addresses.

which I has not occured with any other cards.

Sean...

Everything you know is wrong,
Just forget the words and sing along. --Weird Al
Through the server, over the router, off the firewall... Nothing but 'Net!