[netatalk-admins] ne2000: when cheap ain't worth it.

Subject: [netatalk-admins] ne2000: when cheap ain't worth it.
From: chuck (chuck@Yerkes.com)
Date: Sat Nov 13 1999 - 19:27:13 EST

Quoting Sean /The RIMBoy/ (sean@rimboy.com):
> On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Tony Grant wrote:
> > Harry worte:
> > > Seriously, just get a DEC tulip based card - never had one iota of problems
> > > with those.
> > Would love to but the two cards cost me $45 and it is a SOHO network
> > where additional cash does tend to go to buying kids shoes and stuff
THat's what old scraps of leather are for...

> Have you looked at the offerings from Netgear? You can get 10/100 PCI
> cards for ~$20, 10 ISA for that price and even less.
>
> When in doubt, use a NE2000... sure the performance stinks, but they work.

When thinking about getting an ne2000, grab a staplegun and have at
your feet. The OpenBSD list (and others) constantly get notes about "I
bought a US$10.00 ne2000 card (or clone) and I get slower throughput
that my modem (with PEP). Oh yeah, it crashes a lot." The Yugo of
network gear. If I have to spend 1 hour debugging a card, thats more
exensive that getting a good card first. I have a couple 3c509's from
olden days and a DEC Tulip card on the firewall (I share a DSL with the
downstairs folks, so they get a segment and I get to do some bandwidth
shaping). Work uses Intel cards, mine works fine, haven't heard much
else from the rest of the co.

If you can't afford to do it well the first time, how can you afford
to do it over and over?

chuck