Re: [netatalk-admins] afpd error messages (Was: End the Beta!)

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] afpd error messages (Was: End the Beta!)
From: thomas.riewe (thomas@zeitung-zum-sonntag.de)
Date: Mon Nov 15 1999 - 08:43:11 EST

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Andre Pang wrote:
> Anyway, after mounting the NT share via smbfs, afpd worked perfectly. I
> can put in the Linux server's IP on a Macintosh and all the files will be
> there, which was great. In fact, it all works perfectly except for one
> minor snag - I can't delete any files!
>
> I can type 'rm -f filename' on the Linux box and it'll delete it from
> the directory, but if I walk over to the Mac and drag [filename] over to the
> Trash, it will refuse to delete it. Everything else works brilliantly: I
> can create new files, read files, even modify and rename files - I just
> can't seem to delete any. The permissions seem to be all set correctly:
>
> # ls -ld /import/ntserver/mac
> drwxr-xr-x 1 Lansdown users 512 Nov 15 17:40 /import/ntserver/mac
>
> # ls -l /import/ntserver/mac
> ls: ICON?: No such file or directory
> total 61
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 Lansdown users 50976 May 12 1999 DB
> .
> [etc]
>
> Question 2: Can anybody tell me how to get a Mac connected to the afpd
> share to delete a file? Any suggestions before I start doing weird voodoo
> stuff? :)

do you see something like
"Network Trash Folder" in the shared dir ?

btw, a question to the community:

I am used to just create
a) Network Trash Folder/
b) Temporary Items/
on the shared volumes
and then chown root.root and finally chmod 755 them

does anyone can tell me wether there would be a reason to leave them
"open" ?

tia,
thomas