Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and Samba in a Winnt domain

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and Samba in a Winnt domain
From: Sean /The RIMBoy/ (sean@rimboy.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 15:24:23 EST

First and foremost, on the samba end of things... pick up SAMBA...
Integrating Unix and Windows by John Blair. The book covers several
implementations of networking with PDC's and the like. In terms of
getting netatalk authenticating against the pdc... that one is a little
out of my league. You might see if you can get netatalk to authenticate
against samba (which would authenticate against your pdc).

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Cyril Godefroy wrote:

> I'm curious if anybody tried this:
>
> At the moment, we have several winnt servers which are working not too bad.
> One is the PDC, DNS, web and email server. The second one is a file sharing
> server. The third is a database and application server.
> It would be fine except that half of the machines are Mac, and pretty slow
> when talking to the file server. Plus, I cannot set the file permissions as
> I would like.
> So I'm trying to find a way to change to a Linux box with netatalk and
> samba for the file server.
>
> One of the objectives is to keep a "simple" yet powerful user
> administration. All my users are registered in the PDC, and I don't want to
> have to duplicate them in the linux box.

Sean...

Everything you know is wrong,
Just forget the words and sing along. --Weird Al
Through the server, over the router, off the firewall... Nothing but 'Net!