Re: [netatalk-admins] Howto establish a zone?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Howto establish a zone?
From: ME (dugan@libwais.sonoma.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 16:42:43 EST

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Matthew Geier wrote:
> Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Howto establish a zone?
> Peter Miller wrote:
> > I have a network with a Linux box and a Mac workstation.
> > How do I cause the Linux box, running netatalk, publish a zone?
> > I specified -zone "blah blah" on the interface line.
> > Also, getzones *doesnt* work on the linux server (it times out).
> > The workstation can see the server, and it works, but there are no zones.
> Getzones asks an AppleTalk router for the zone list doesnt it?. If
> there are no AppleTalk routers, no zones?.
> Netatalk doesnt become an AppleTalk router. Can it be configured to be
> one ?.
> (Not that I would want to, we have enough problems caused by 'rogue'
> appletalk routers as it is. :-)

As I recall, netatalk does not support creation of Zones. Without a zone
from an AppleTalk Router (FastPath etc) there is no zone except "*"
available.

As a side point, if you have a Mac OS X Server available to you, you can
use the server to create a zone, and then have the netatalk server join
it. (Tested this when I made iMac/new G3 machines do that net booting
thing from a Linux box on an IntraNet with no AppleTalk Routers, except
the Mac OS X Server which had routing capabilities.)

-ME
Systems Department Operating Systems Analyst for the Ruben Salazar Library
              of California State University at Sonoma.
  /UNIX(/BSD/SysV)\N_NW[.]VMS\WNTS\WNTW\W95\W311\WFWG\DOS:MacOS/NeXTSTEP