[netatalk-admins] SUMMARY: Error -50

Subject: [netatalk-admins] SUMMARY: Error -50
From: Tim Carlson (tim@santafe.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 12:50:19 EST

I know this question has been asked a number of times on this list and I
have never seen it properly answered. So...

This error can occur when you are trying to copy a file from a Mac to a
netatalk share. The reason for the error is that afpd wants to create an
icon for the file type in the top level .AppleDesktop directory. If this
direcotry is not writeable by the user, you get this error. What made it
hard for me to trouble shoot was that the error doesn't occur all of the
time. If the icon already exists, then of course you don't get the error.

The easiest thing to do (yes you can do all kinds of fancy thinks with
"set gid" but this is easy) is:

su
cd .AppleDesktop
mkdir a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
mkdir A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
chmod 777 *

Tim

Tim Carlson Voice: (505) 984-8800x255
Director of Computing: Santa Fe Institute Fax: (505) 982-0565
WWW: http://www.santafe.edu/~tim Email: tim@santafe.edu