Re: [netatalk-admins] afp_null handle 43

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] afp_null handle 43
From: Andrew Morgan (morgan@orst.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 18:42:09 EST

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Dan Horth wrote:

> Hiya - I've tried searching for information on the net, and the
> appletalk on linux list but there's been no takers there... may be
> someone here has me insights into what's going on?
>
> I've been noticing this error (warning?) in our log files:
>
> afpd[29274]: afp_null handle 43
>
> I'm thinking that this error may be showing up when the server /
> network is pretty heavily loaded... but not 100% sure...
>
> we're not seeing any errors to go with this on the client side though.
>
> Can someone enlighten me as to what this means?

I don't know if this helps, but that error message originates in
etc/afpd/switch.c in the netatalk source. The following comment explains
it a little bit:

/*
 * Routines marked "NULL" are not AFP functions.
 * Routines marked "afp_null" are AFP functions
 * which are not yet implemented. A fine line...
 */

I believe handle 43 corresponds to the AFP 2.1 function "FPCatSearch",
which is an optional feature in AFP 2.1. You may see this error if clients
are doing a find on a netatalk volume, but it shouldn't be related to high
server loads.

        Andy