The references below are generally categorized, although most books cover multiple topics as noted at each title. Bolded are the topics I referred to when developing the course notes. I am constantly in search of easy-to-understand references (that's the primal criterion!) to help you learn the topics -- please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you know good books!
- K. Rosen, Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications , Forth edition, McGraw Hill, 1999 --- sets, graphs.
- L. Wolsey, Integer Programming, Wiley, 1998 --- integer programming, heuristics, complexity theory.
- C. Papadimitriou and K. Steiglitz, Combinatorial Optimization, Dover, 1998 --- linear programming, integer programming, graph algorithms, complexity theory.
- M. Syslo, N. Deo and J. Kowalik, Discrete Optimization Algorithms with PASCAL Programs, Prentice-Hall, 1983 --- linear programming, integer programming, graph algorithms.
- T. Cormen, C. Leiserson and R. Rivest, Introduction to Algorithms, McGrow-Hill/MIT Press, 1993 --- sets, graphs, growth of functions, graph algorithms.
- S. Skiena, The Algorithm Design Manual, Springer, 1998 --- growth of functions, graph algorithms, heuristics.
- P. H. Winston, Artificial Intelligence, Addison Wesley, 1992 --- graph algorithms, genetic algorithms.
- C. Reeves (ed.), Modern Heuristic Techniques for Combinatorial Problems, Wiley, 1993 -- heuristics.
- D. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithm in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning, Addison Wesley, 1989 --- genetic algorithms.
- M. Mitchell, Introduction to Genetic Algorithms, MIT Press -- genetic algorothms
- D. Bertsimas and J. Tsitsiklis, Introduction to Linear Optimization, Athena Scientific, 1997 --- linear programming, integer programming, complexity theory.
- M. R. Garey and D. S. Johnson, Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness, Freeman, 1979 -- complexity theory.
- J. C. Martin, Introduction to Language and the Theory of Computation, McGraw-Hill, 1991 -- complexity theory.
When you go to a journal Web site, the default search option may be to search for an entire Web site, which includes articles of the journal as well as *other* journals from the same publisher. When you search, therefore, be sure to select an option for searching articles within the journal.
- Artificial Intelligence for Engineering, Design, Analysis, and Manufacturing
- ASME Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering
- ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering
- ASME Journal of Mechahical Design
- ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics
- ASME Journal of Medical Devices
- Computer-Aided Design
- IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering
- IEEE Transactions on Robotics
- Journal of Manufacturing Systems
- Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization