logo wcla wcll

#12 Seed: Michigan 7
#13 Seed: Maryland 13


First Half

Second Half










May 9, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO. – After suffering a heartbreaking defeat in the opening round of the National Tournament, the Wolverines were looking to rebound and turn things around in their next game as they took on the 13th seeded Maryland Terps. Michigan carried over the defensive intensity, lead by senior Jamee Jacobson (Chicago, Ill./Lake Forest) and good goaltending from the first game, to this one. However, the team’s offensive firepower was lacking as they only managed 7 goals. The game was close throughout the first half. The Wolverines started off the scoring with a goal from senior Rachel Stattler (Bloomfield Hills, MI/Sacred Heart), assisted by junior Julianne Patterson (Rochester, NY/Victor).

Unfortunately for the Wolverines, Maryland quickly scored two goals to take the lead and never relinquished the lead; Michigan was able to tie the game a twice but was unable to retake the lead. The Wolverines played well on defense and applied great pressure; however, Maryland dominated time of possession and won a lot of groundballs, keeping the ball out of the sticks of Michigan’s attack.
Patterson lead the Wolverines in the first half with 1 goal and 2 assists, while Rachel Stattler had 2 goals. However, that was not enough as Maryland took a 6-4 lead into halftime. The Wolverines hoped to regroup at the half, and make a full comeback that had eluded them in their previous game against Texas.

Although Michigan had plans to make the comeback, Maryland had other ideas and went on a 5-1 run in the second half to take an 11-5 lead. Michigan realized if they were going to make a move and comeback, it would have to be quick because the Terps’ lead was growing and the rain was making play even more difficult.

Once again, the rain and sloppy field conditions played a major factor in the game; Michigan lost 2 starting seniors to injury in the 2nd half: Rachel Stattler (hamstring/attack), and Captain Jamee Jacobson (concussion/defense). Maryland had control of the game and was unwilling to let that slip away. After a free position goal from Patterson, the Terps’ scored two more goals to take a 7 goal lead. Michigan managed to drop Maryland’s lead to 6, but that was with less than one minute left and was the end of the "comeback".

Once again, Patterson led Michigan’s offensive efforts in the second half with 2 goals. 

Michigan will take the field again tomorrow (May 10) at 11:00 AM MST against No. 16 seeded Northeastern.
Follow Michigan Lacrosse on twitter (@umichwlaxclub) for in-game updates.