[netatalk-admins] Mac/Samba translation, etc.

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Mac/Samba translation, etc.
From: Jonathan Michael Hawkins (spiritu@nwu.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 13:21:31 EST

Hello--

I'm having some problems which have been brought up on this list before,
but for which no answers have been given.

Here's my problem.

Let's say I download a StuffIt archive from the 'net. And suppose I
download this onto my NT box. Then I copy it to my Samba-mounted Linux
box. Finally, I use Netatalk to copy the file to my Mac, then I attempt to
open the file which now resides on my Mac. Somehow this file becomes
irreparably trashed during these copy phases and I can't use it. However,
let's say I, instead of using Netatalk or Samba, force my ftp client to
send the file to my Linux box with ftp, in binary mode. Then I use fetch
to download the file as a binary and assign the correct creator/type to it.
 Voila! It works!

This happens also for FileMaker Pro Files, which is especially annoying
considering I actually would like to have these files simply reside on the
server where I can open my database on either platform. Any ideas?

Jonathan

----
Jonathan Michael Hawkins
Assistant Network Administrator
McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL USA
http://2171142445/support