Re: [netatalk-admins] asun 2.1.2-2 on FreeBSD 2.2.6 and MacOS 8.5.1

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] asun 2.1.2-2 on FreeBSD 2.2.6 and MacOS 8.5.1
From: Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Jan 14 1999 - 07:45:41 EST

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Brian Reid wrote:

> > Let me take a stab in the dark - did you upgrade from netatalk
> > 1.4b2 to an asun version at some point in the past?
>
> Yes. I ran netatalk 1.4b2 for a long time, creating tens of thousands of
> files, before upgrading to asun2.1.2-2. Only a few dozen of them have
> this problem, though.
>
> Is this proposed -v1compat switch something that I will have to run
> with forever, or will I be able to do a one-time-only conversion of all
> of my files?
>
> Besides my home server, where I experiment, I run netatalk in a large
> public school system where we have hundreds of thousands of files, and
> many many thousands of student users, and I sure don't want to have
> problems like this suddenly show up in the middle of the school year..
>
> I am at this moment in another window rdisting about 400,000 files from
> an old Ultrix machine to a new FreeBSD machine at the school. I deduce
> from tonight's exchange that it would be a bad idea for me to turn the
> students loose on it just yet....
>
> Too bad there's no "find -magic" option to let me survey the damage.

Does anyone have a thought as to why my elderly Mac SE/30 reports all the
file sizes on an asun-2.1.2 server as large negative numbers? I have
built the server _without_ large volume support AND have not used
optimization to compile volume.c. According to the Mac, the volume size
is < 2Gig. Get Info tells me that there is a huge number "On disk" (??),
with nnn bytes actually used (where 'nnn' is the true size of the file in
question.)

What heuristic does the Finder use to when displaying a listing by Name?

Steve