Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk resource fork format

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk resource fork format
From: Mark Donnelly (mark@coe.missouri.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 14 1999 - 09:09:39 EST

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Kadinger Andras wrote:

> netatalk e.g. stores
> this information in a secondary file in the .AppleDouble directory
> together with the actual resource fork in one particular format; ushare
> has them in the .rsrc directory also together with the resource fork, in
> another, slightly different format

I'm giving a presentation to a UNIX users group next Wednesday covering
filesharing to Mac boxen (netatalk) and Wintel boxen (SAMBA). On the
issue of AppleSharing, there is at least one installation I know of that's
looking to move from an older K-AShare that came with IRIX
(.HSResource/.HSancillary, and a horrible product in my opinion) to
Adrian's ASIP netatalk on a NFS'd Linux/FreeBSD server.

Is there any sort of conversion utility that anybody has come up with to
go from .HS* to .AppleDouble? Or from .rsrc (ushare) to .AppleDouble? For
these people, I think that conversion is going to be a fairly major thing.

Also, I know it's been brought up really recently, but I deleted it...
Could anyone doing work on SAMBA/netatalk integration email me about it
off-list? Also, Wes, Adrian, could I get "from the horse's mouth" what
the status of your work is, and what your roadmap for the future is?
When I'm through I'll make my presentation available on-line.

Thanks all,
--Mark Donnelly