Re: [netatalk-admins] Building Netatalk for SunOS 5.6 sparc Ultra-Enterprise

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Building Netatalk for SunOS 5.6 sparc Ultra-Enterprise
From: Michael Han (mikehan@best.com)
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 15:56:21 EST

Previously...
>Apparently what's wrong is that netatalk1.3.3 doesn't support Solaris /
>SunOS 5.6. Moving on to 1.4b2 (I make it a point to avoid betas unless I'm
>just playing... or I know there is something about the "last stable version
>pre-beta" that doesn't work)
>
>I made the (bad) assumption that when the README said "runs on SunOS 4.1+",
>that included 5.* (that is, the bad assumption that the + meant "and
>higher" not "only versions with a 4 in them".)

Ah! This would be the problem. The preferred versions of netatalk for
Solaris are:

netatalk-971027 from UMich
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1 from asun

Either can be considered known-good stable on Solaris, as both are in
common use on large numbers of Solaris boxen, most importantly, by
the majority of the Solaris-based participants of this mailing list.
971027 can be gotten from the *parent* directory of UMich's ftp
server. +asun can be gotten from ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/.
Both incorporate important fixes to the kernel module which, when left
unfixed in 1.3.3 or 1.4b2, cause kernel panics.

--
mikehan@best.com
I will not Xerox my butt