[netatalk-admins] Installing on Solaris

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Installing on Solaris
From: Vicki Brown (vlb@deltagen.com)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 16:10:10 EST

I've got netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1

I put this project on hold for a while because there are other
priorities. Blowing the dust off of it, I am trying to follow the
README.

make install advises me:
  Don't forget to add lines from
  services.atalk to /etc/services and to call rc.atalk
  in /etc/rc. See README and README.SOLARIS for more
  information.

Well, I added the lines to /etc/services, but "call rc.atalk"? There
is no /etc/rc on Solaris and no rc.atalk installed in the system
directories. There are three in the source area:

  rc.atalk.bsd
  rc.atalk.sysv
  rc.atalk.redhat

But none of them were installed in system areas. I suppose I copy one
somewhere? Which one? Do I presume that Solaris is "sysv" these
days? Do I just copy rc.atalk.sysv to /etc and then put the
requisite pointer into rc2.d (or is it rc3.d).

Lastly, can someone give me some better information about this
"rebuild the kernel" stuff than "rebuld the kernel"? Guidance,
advice, or sympathy?

This is a production machine. "Rebuild the kernel" scares the #^!*$ out of me!

- Vicki
-----
 //=\ Vicki Brown mailto:vlb@deltagen.com
 \=// Journeyman Sourcerer: Scripts & Philtres
  //=\ (Mac)Perl, awk, sed, *sh..., occasional C
  \=// A little web-gardening on the weekends
   //=\
   \=// Deltagen, Inc.
    //=\ 1031 Bing St, San Carlos, CA 94070