Re: [netatalk-admins] One Server, 2 Volumes and a big file

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] One Server, 2 Volumes and a big file
From: Chris Irvine (chrisi@dhorse.com)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 20:15:08 EST

> Right now I encountered the following problem:
>
> I´ve got one server which exports two volumes.
>
>>From the Finder I tried to copy a big file (about 600M) from one volume to
> the other one.
>
> What happened:
> After the ´copy´ window opened the mac was blocked (no progress bar in the
> window, watch cursor active).
> Looking at my Linux box I saw that copying was in progress. It seemed to be
> done locally, disk to disk (according to the speed the file grew without
> heavy network load). But after some time my mac complained, that the
> connection to the server was lost and therefore the copy can´t be done.
>
> I guess netatalk does the copy locally (which is fine) but ´forgets´ to
> tell the mac what´s going on. (a very high level view)
>
> I don´t know very much about AFP in detail, but I wonder if it´s possible
> at all to have such ´progress notifications´.
>
> My setup:
> Linux 20.0.36 + netatalk+asun on a K6/200
> MacOS D1-8.1 (German) on a PowerBook G3 Series
> 10 MBit/s Ethernet
>
> Has anyone seen this before? Any fixes?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Harry

This is somewhat normal. The AppleShare client is able to essentially disconnect from a cross-volume copy. This is your problem. An oversimplified description seems to follow these lines: Normally the client ask for ONE file to be copied. The client and server must be aware that both volumes reside on the same server. (A similar situation with a Finder duplicate.) The server copies the file locally. This could show as a "cp" process. When finished the client is notified, and the client may ask for another file to be copied. I don't know if there is an option in the AFP spec to allow for a "I'm 30% done copping your file" type packet.

Here is what I would try to solve the problem: Find a file that is just big enough to cause the client to time out. Then use the "AppleShare Client Setup" tool to turn up some of the client time-outs. If the file copies successfully, then calculate a reasonable time-out based on the size of your files. Hopefully there isn't a server side time-out problem.

Good luck,
Chris

Chris Irvine On-line store-> http://www.tfaw.com/
Information Systems Technician phone: 503-652-8815
Dark Horse Comics, Inc. http://www.darkhorse.com/
PGP Key ID: 0x0263648A
PGP F.P. 8CEF 1BC8 F763 DF79 6F38 3156 EA30 50DF 0263 648A