Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI
From: rodgerd@wnl.co.nz
Date: Fri Jan 22 1999 - 00:54:04 EST

On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 09:24:11PM +0100, Hans-Guenter Weigand wrote:

> > > Do you refer to an OPI specification 2.0 or the Helios OPI 2.0 product?
> >
> > OPI spec 2.0.
>
> URL available?

It isn't available from their web site, but you should be able to find it at
ftp://www.adobe.com/pub/adobe/devrelations/devtechnotes/pdffiles/opi_2.pdf

> Uh, yes, I forgot about NFS and the PC world.

Something many people would like tro be able to do 8).

> Helios Ethershare seems to work like this: A file copied to the volume
> from a Mac instantly is checked for type, and a layout file is generated
> if appropriate. If you copy it there using NFS, you do not get a layout
> file. Their afp-daemon notifies the opi-daemon, which forks and
> downsamples the image file. If you bypass the afpd somehow, you have to
> touch the file from a Mac to trigger the opid. This model offers prompt
> service to Mac users, but obviously has some disadvantage.

Quite. As I indicate, I think we can offer prompt service on a cross
platform basis to everyone, which would be the ideal. Reading your
description did get me thinking about optimal ways of downsampling though;
previously, I'd just worked from the notion that one does a downsample from
a big file. Thinking about how Helios could be hooking into their afpd
analogue for more speed got me onto a slightly better (and should have been
more obvious): checking the resource fork and the PostScript for embedded
previews. That way, one could deliver low-res samples with pretty
impressive speed; we'd only bog down on files that don't have a preview
already.

> Prepress people here are used to a different model (which I would
> prefer),

Configurability is everything 8).

> which places the layout files into the same directory as the
> hires files. "mypic.tiff" gets a little brother named "mypic.tiff.lay".

That's straightforward enough, however...

> An average path looks like this in the ufs:
> <jobnumber> folder, possibly with some subfolders.

Does this mean that you have the Helios OPI watching every job folder? In
that case, I can can see the value in hacking the afpd analogue to talk to
the sampler, because that would get a little more awkward without
co-operating with it. Not impossible, but it would be harder to implement
elegantly.

> Once the job is done its folder is put on CD and/or other media and
> deleted from the server volume. There's never enough disk space ;)

Amen to that.

> Can you give some impression of the time needed to find the new image
> file in a, say, 100 GB ufs volume (with reduced number of inodes)? I'm
> quite new to Unix programming and now little about wheels and gears
> inside yet.

Depends on whether you search the whole hierarchy or not; I also don't have
a UFS volume handy. I'll get some times across some 10-24 GB ext2 fses over
the weekend, and take it from there.

> > many queues are available and how deep those queues are (do you allow one,
> > two, three, or more items to be processed in a given queue).
>
> Isn't it sufficient to start a downsampling process with nice +10 for
> every detected new file? The kernel would have to handle "queuing" then.

That's one way; OTOH, one may want to specify some queues as more equal than
others - you might have a queue set up for people who are scanning work a
few days in advance (something we do here, begin a newspaper), where the
ability to get everything sampled all at once, as quickly as possible, is
lower priority.

> > Anyways, all this talk inspired me to dig up the old code this morning. I
> > took one look at it, threw most of it away, and am now happily banging away
> > at FreePO[2] again.
>
> Fine! Let me know if and how I may help. I run OpenBSD-current and
> Solaris (2.)7 here, and MacOS of course.

Excellent. I have access to Linux, MacOS, Windows and AIX, although the
bulk of the initial work will be on Linux.

> Isn't there some p2c utility, which does the dirty work?

That's a pascal to C translator. There's not actually that collosal a
difference between Perl and C for a lot of work; moreover, for a lot of the
work being done here - mucking about with PostScript streams - perl most
likely handles the text involved better than any C I can write ever will.
The filesystem stuff may be a different matter.

I'll spend some time hacking over the weekend and make the results
available early next week. We should probably take the discussion away from
netatalk-admins, unless we start trying to integrate stuff into netatalk,
although I don't have a listserv of my own.

--
Rodger Donaldson			rodger.donaldson@wnl.co.nz
Systems Support				Direct line	: 04 474 0560