RE: [netatalk-admins] This is becoming annoying ...

Subject: RE: [netatalk-admins] This is becoming annoying ...
From: J. Guy Stalnaker (jstalnak@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 27 1999 - 00:03:47 EST

At 3:17 PM -0800 on 1/26/99, you wrote:

> The "default" installation, I'm pretty sure, puts its files in
> /usr/local/atalk and not /usr/atalk. Did you change that behavior?
>
> In fact with the asun version everything should get installed where it needs
> to go so there shouldn't need to be any symlinking.
>
> Also, with the exception of Solaris atalkd.conf gets created automatically
> if it doesn't exist.
>
> Does this help at all (or am I way off here).

Mark,

I changed the default install location for my own peace of mind (the orignial:
/usr/local/atalk had been used by a previous pre-compiled install and I
wanted to put my compiled install somewhere else). In any case, it
shouldn't matter where things get "make install"ed to--the sym links all
point to the executables and the config files.

While atalkd.conf may get created if it's non-existant, that doesn't mean
that atalkd will work. What I have, actually, is created by atalkd when it
starts, but I still can't get to the box from a Mac (as I said in the
email) nor can I get there via IP (I can't login).

Another reply mentioned shadow passwords. My first compile of atalk did
not include the -DSHADOWPW flag, but I have since re-compiled atalkd with
the flag. Made no difference.

Any other ideas?

Guy

J. Guy Stalnaker \________/
jstalnak@facstaff.wisc.edu \______/
http://bagend.doit.wisc.edu/theguy \____/
Live your life so you've no regrets! \__/