[netatalk-admins] more printer mayhem

Subject: [netatalk-admins] more printer mayhem
From: Paul Krohn (krohn@examiner.com)
Date: Thu Feb 04 1999 - 15:06:04 EST

project: get macs using LaserWriter 8.5.1 to print to spools already set
up & working on a linux box.

done so far:

set up a desktop printer on the mac to point to the correct ip address &
spool name: lp-sys, an hp laserjet in the systems department for my tests.

create a file called hosts.lpd: i tried this 2 ways:

one line, with the ip address of my mac.
one line, with <network address>:<subnet mask>

my first question is, since the man page for lpd contains no info on the
format of this file, i'm forced to guess. anyone know offhand?

what happens:

when i print, the printer status area says 'connecting to lpr printer'
for about 30 seconds. then it fails, and i get an error message:

the document "xxx" failed to print on the printer 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'
because the requested printer could not be found.

which seems like the kind of obtuse error message one might get if the
spooler simply isn't accepting jobs.

thanks in advance!

Paul Krohn
San Francisco Examiner Systems Department
110 Fifth Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
415-777-7884
krohn@examiner.com - www.examiner.com