[netatalk-admins] Re: Nice work!

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: Nice work!
From: Stew Benedict (stewb@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Feb 15 1999 - 05:59:37 EST

Just recently got netatalk working to tie my iMac to an existing network
of Linux/Windoze machines. Nice work! I've now got a folder on the Linux
box, and can print to my Nec Silentwriter 95 on a HP Jetdirect on the
network. A couple of questions:

Is there, or are there any plans to make an equivalent to the "smbtar"
program that the Samba suite uses to back up the client machine to tape
from the server?

Are there any plans to implement the "if" stanza in papd? This would
allow one to use printers with no specific Apple driver (like my HP693C)
by routing the jobs through Ghostscript. Also I have my printers' power
controlled by an X10 module, which is triggered on by a hacked lpr script.
Papd bypasses lpr, so I modified my script that shuts the printers back
down if there are no jobs queued, to watch for jobs in the queue from the
iMac and turn the printers on. This works, but I had to increase the
frequency to every 5 minutes to get the jobs printed up in a timely
manner. A useable "if" line could take care of this too.

Thanks for the fine work!
Stew Benedict