[netatalk-admins] Custom ICON problem on shares with System 7.x ASIP clients

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Custom ICON problem on shares with System 7.x ASIP clients
From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber (spammail@quanta.paypc.com)
Date: Tue Feb 16 1999 - 02:44:29 EST

I suppose this is probably in a FAQ somewhere, but I wasted some time
recently chasing this problem down [note, with the current Netatalk pre-asun
version, this is *NOT A BUG IN NETATALK!*]

If you paste an icon into a share's volume icon from OS8.5.x, System 7.x
clients just get a blank document icon. The only way I can see how to NOT do
this undesired behaviour is to open an ICN# family [selecting the ICN# family
row in Resorcerer, for instance), copying, and then pasting that into the
volume's icon. The problem is that the 8.x finder in almost Microsoftian
fashion, pastes only the
new-and-improved-but-a-format-for-which-no-editor-exists resource, and not
any of the classic ones. Geez, I sure hope Steve the iCEO hasn't gotten more
than just $$$ from MSFT.

Argh. I just thought I'd spare others the wasted time and hassle. It *IS*
just cosmetic, yes... but I have System 7.x clients to support - I will *NOT*
install the bloated 8.x on 68k Macintoshes. It's slow enough on PowerPC
systems.

=Rob=