[netatalk-admins] Re: Installing on Solaris

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: Installing on Solaris
From: Vicki Brown (vlb@cfcl.com)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 20:29:37 EST

Thanks to Glenn Dawson <glenn@antimatter.net> for pointing out that it is the
            make kinstall
step that actually installs atalk into /etc/init.d

(Thanks also to everyone who pointed out where this _should_ have
been installed, but I *did do a find* from / and atalk had not been
_not_ installed. How was I supposed to know that the _kernel driver_
installation step was the one that installed this; that was not
obvious from the READMEs!). Anyway, it's there now.

And yes, I realize in retrospect that "rebuild the kernel" was a poor
choice of words. I am not now and never have been a kernel hacker,
so, apologies for the word choice. How about: anything that comes
close to doing funky things to the kernel scares the whatever out of
me when run on a production machine. That better? :-) The phrasing
in the README:

3. INSTALL DRIVER. Since the STREAMS ddp driver must be installed as
    root, we've separated that portion of the build. Type

        make kinstall

    to install the driver. This copies the driver and it's config file
    into /usr/kernel/drv and /usr/kernel/strmod, runs "add_drv ddp" to
    make the kernel aware of the new driver, and adds an rc file to
    /etc/rc?.d.

is NOT clear about what it plans to _do_ to the kernel. (I got a
twitchy feeling just watching all those syncs as "make kinstall"
ran...)

---
      |\      _,,,---,,_       Vicki Brown <vlb@cfcl.com>
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   Journeyman Sourceror: Scripts & Philtres
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb  http://www.macperl.org