[netatalk-admins] PAP end-of-job timeouts?

Subject: [netatalk-admins] PAP end-of-job timeouts?
From: Robert Edwards (Robert.Edwards@anu.edu.au)
Date: Wed Mar 03 1999 - 05:41:28 EST

I have netatalk-981109 running on a Sun Ultra 170 under Solaris 2.7
using the "lp" printing system and the lp2pap.sh script (set up per
the INSTALL/README.SOLARIS instructions).

I have four printers running under AppleTalk: two Apple LaserWriter 630s,
an HP-4M with an Axil Print Server and a Lexmark Optra S with network
option.

Most any print job thrown at the HP/Axil or the Lexmark will print with
no problems at all.

Frequently, large Postscript jobs (over say 200k) will print on the
Apple LaserWriters and then hang the respective print queues (not
disappear from the top of the queue). My guess is that these printers
are not properly disconnecting at the end of the job and never timeout.

Plain text files submitted to these printers go through some LP print
filter to get converted to Postscript and always print just fine, as
do most smaller Postscript jobs.

Can anyone throw any wisdom on this? Can I add something to an LP print
filter to add a command to disconnect the job once it is printed? Is
there a way to setup a timeout so that the Netatalk PAP will automatically
kill the job after a certain period of time? Has anyone else seen anything
similar?

I am quite desperate for a solution as the Academics around here are
getting ready to hang me if this printing problem isn't resolved soon.

I have checked the FAQs and haven't stumbled upon anything helpful (yet).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards,

Computer and Robotics Engineer, e-mail: bob@faceng.anu.edu.au
Department of Engineering, phone: (+61) 2 6249 4090
Australian National University, fax: (+61) 2 6249 0506
Canberra, AUSTRALIA, 0200 mobile: (+61) 0416 166 761
      WWW: http://spigot.anu.edu.au/people/bob/home.html