Re: [netatalk-admins] PPD files on server

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] PPD files on server
From: Albert Max Lai (amlai@columbia.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 28 1999 - 17:51:40 EST

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Jeremy J. Reichman wrote:

Of course, since this is the netatalk mailing list, we'll all be printing
to our printers using papd instead of lpd ;-), but there is a bug in the
RedHat lpd. Here's what the bug is: If you don't have a username on the
machine running lpd and the client, the lpd spool will just drop the job
and the job will never get to the printer. (The username from a MacOS
client is the owner name.) The reason this is a bug is because it ignores
the tag to say whether or not to do this (which should be off by default
anyways.) Here's a link to the patch that I found:

<http://www.iet.unipi.it/~romano/linux/tricks.html>

Oh and BTW, I got a message from them stating that it would be fixed in a
future revision of the lpr package.

--
Albert Lai <amlai@columbia.edu>           1018D East Campus
Residential Computer Consultant           411 W. 116th St.