Re: [netatalk-admins] new admin question: ppds and timeouts

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] new admin question: ppds and timeouts
From: Abel Deuring (A.DEURING@BIONIC.zerberus.de)
Date: Sun Mar 28 1999 - 19:00:00 EST

Hi Jason!

> I have just set up netatalk on a Debian GNU/Linux system to provide
> print services to 5 Macs ranging from a MacIIsi under System 7.1 to a
> 9600/300 under MacOS 8.1 (everything but the IIsi is running 8.1).
> Netatalk seems to be 1.4b2+asun2.1.1, from the package for Debian
> 2.1.
>
> I am having a problem with the Macs locking up (under 8.1) or just
> timing out (under 7.1). The printers show up in the chooser under
> both System versions, and their status shows up as ``foo is ready and
> printing.''

I see two possible problems:

For the System 7.1 Macs: Could it be that you use LaserWriter 7.x
on these Macs? This old version definitely cannot "talk" with
papd. You must use LaserWriter 8.x.

Regarding the second problem: I remember roughly a similar
situation, where papd simply died. It turned out that papd does
not like PPD files with Mac-OS line separators (0x0D). Changing
the 0x0D into 0x0A solved the problem.

Abel