Re: [netatalk-admins] atalk for Digital Unix 4.0

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] atalk for Digital Unix 4.0
From: Abel Deuring (A.DEURING@BIONIC.zerberus.de)
Date: Sun Mar 28 1999 - 19:00:00 EST

[sorry - this is off topic regarding netatalk but I can't stop
myself...]

Stefan Bethke wrote:

> > - Even EtherShare may have problems integrating with samba; the
> > recommendation seems to be to use EtherShare for both Mac and Windows
> > file sharing (there's a companion Windows server product).
>
> EtherShare (as well as IPT's uShare) implement fixed file id's. Because
> Mac clients usually reference files on the volume by their file id (or dir
> id + filename), a database keeps track of id->path relations. Obviously,
> this database must be kept in sync with the actual file system contents.
> If you move or rename files "behind the back" of the file server, the
> database gets out of sync, and "funny" things start happening. Helios
> provides a number of replacement command line utilities for mv, cp, et al.
> that know how to deal with these data.
>
> Unfortunatly, for these reasons, you can't run Samba on an EtherShare
> volume without risking serious problems. Helios has announced PCShare 3,
> which will be a SMB server tightly integrated with EtherShare (and the
> prepress products).

This is probably correct from the viewpoint that you want to
avoid any theoretically possible problems regarding the co-
existence of Ethershare and Samba.

On the other hand, the last version of PCShare I have seen does
only support the old MSDOS 8.3 filenames. Really not the choice
for Windoze 95 or NT clients...

Practically, I had not had any serious problems in a DTP
environment after hacking Samba, so that it creates an .rsrc
subdirectory when a Samba client creates a directory. Things like
file locking of course don't work across Samba/Ethershare.

Some months ago, I even got a call from one of Promo's EtherShare
resellers: The guy asked me for my Samba patch...

Abel