Re: [netatalk-admins] Pacershare vs. Netatalk

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Pacershare vs. Netatalk
From: Paul M. Lambert (plambert@nas.nasa.gov)
Date: Fri Apr 02 1999 - 04:21:53 EST

Craig A Summerhill said:

> But I can see how it could be a pain if you have a lot of files to
> transfer. Also, preserving uid/gid settings might be difficult if
> you have user's who have complex setups. Around here, a
> "chown -R user .*" usually solves those problems...

just a note of warning: "chown -R user .*" doesn't do what you would first
think it might. keep in mind that all unix directories include two
special directories: . and ..

doing a "chown -R user .." is probably not something you want to do.

i am sure the original author knows this and didn't mean exactly what
he wrote, but i wanted to make sure that any listmembers not terribly
familiar with unix didn't fall for this mistake. it's an easy one
to make!

something like "chown -R user .A*" is safe; it's usually best, when
dealing with dot-files, to specify them by full name or unambiguous
match on the command line... at least until you become _very_ familiar
with unix shells and file globbing (the * is a form of a glob. wonderful,
intuitive terms, 'eh? ;-)

--paul