Re: [netatalk-admins] Pacershare vs. Netatalk

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Pacershare vs. Netatalk
From: Craig A Summerhill (craig@cni.org)
Date: Fri Apr 02 1999 - 07:23:52 EST

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Paul M. Lambert <plambert@nas.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Craig A Summerhill said:
> >
> > But I can see how it could be a pain if you have a lot of files to
> > transfer. Also, preserving uid/gid settings might be difficult if
> > you have user's who have complex setups. Around here, a
> > "chown -R user .*" usually solves those problems...
>
> just a note of warning: "chown -R user .*" doesn't do what you would
> first think it might. keep in mind that all unix directories include
> two special directories: . and ..
>
> doing a "chown -R user .." is probably not something you want to do.

Paul, thanks for the clarification...

I was thinking about that when I was writing it, and didn't go back
to change it before I hit the send button. I shouldn't have written
that as '.*' because I would never issue that command literally. If
the person's $HOME directory is /home/user, I would generally opt for
one of these approaches:

   cd /home
   chown -R user ./user

     or

   chown -R user /home/user

I figured most of the people on here know better since the list is
called "Netatalk Admins" but I shouldn't make assumptions. You're
right that a unix neophyte could get themselves into a world of
hurt with some poorly structed chown commands.

P.S. This brings up a question I have been meaning to ask. If
a user goes into a Volume from the MacOS side, and sets permissions
using the File:Sharing command, and later those permissions come
into conflict because a unix chmod command is issued, which set of
permissions does netatalk use. Do the unix permissions always
override the Mac ones if they differ? That was the case with Pacer.

Just wondering...

--

Craig A. Summerhill, Systems Coordinator and Program Officer Coalition for Networked Information 21 Dupont Circle, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20036 Internet: craig@cni.org AT&Tnet (202) 296-5098