Re: [netatalk-admins] Pacershare vs. Netatalk

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Pacershare vs. Netatalk
From: Craig A Summerhill (craig@cni.org)
Date: Fri Apr 02 1999 - 01:53:08 EST

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Paul Stuart <pstuart@farallon.com> wrote:

> I have netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 running on a Redhat Linux (2.0.34) on
> a generic Intel box. It works great except:
>
> I've restores some archives of files that came off a SunOS 4.1.3 box
> running PacerShare and the files are all there except that the resource
> fork is not visible. The minimum size of these resource files is 589
> bytes, which matches the info I could glean from <atalk/adouble.h>.
> Resedit says that the resource is corrupted, FileTyper shows a resource
> size of 0 bytes. I can copy new files to the same folder and they work
> fine...
>
> Anybody have any clues, experience, or hunches about fixing these files?

Paul,

Kinda a belated reply -- I've been occupied elsewhere this week.

Pacer allows you to log into the root of a volume using "root". Just a
curiosity, but if you don't have too many files to transfer have you
considered mounting both the Pacer Volume(s) as root on your desktop
Mac and mount the new root of the netatalk server. Then copy from one
to the other with a drag and drop?

I've done this with several hundred megs, and it seems to work OK.
File Type/Creator get preserved in the process this way.

But I can see how it could be a pain if you have a lot of files to
transfer. Also, preserving uid/gid settings might be difficult if
you have user's who have complex setups. Around here, a
"chown -R user .*" usually solves those problems...

Another strategy which I have also successfully used with Pacer.
Mount the Pacer volume (again as root) to a Macintosh that has a
tape drive. Run a tape backup utility against the Pacer Volume
(like Restrospect). Then mount the netatalk and restore from
Restrospect to the netatalk volume. Again, File Type and Creator
are preserved this way. A unix tape backup won't do it (as you
already figured) because of the conflicting methods of managing
the File Types/Creators in Pacer and netatalk.

--

Craig A. Summerhill, Systems Coordinator and Program Officer Coalition for Networked Information 21 Dupont Circle, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20036 Internet: craig@cni.org AT&Tnet (202) 296-5098