[netatalk-admins] perplexing papd printing problem (perhaps pap problem?)

Subject: [netatalk-admins] perplexing papd printing problem (perhaps pap problem?)
From: Mark (bergman@bups.bilkent.edu.tr)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 08:43:49 EDT

I'm having trouble printing from Macs (System 7.n) via papd. I've got a number
of printers (AppleLaser Writers on AppleTalk and HP 5MX/P LaserJets on a SMB
network). The Apple printers are each in different zones (93 Building, 94
Building, etc.) The Linux server (RH 5.1+, netatalk-1.4b2) is broadcasting the
existence of a new zone, "printers" (registered as a second zone with atalkd).
The zone appears under the chooser, and the printers (listed in papd.conf) all
show up.

I am not using ".papd" files, but am explicitely supplying the printer name via
"-p" to pap. I am not using .ppd files.

I am not running afpd.

>From the Linux server, I can successfully send a print job "by hand" to either
the Apple or HP printers, via the "printers" zone, with something like:

        cat testfile.ps | pap -e -p "ComputerLab@printers"

I have tried listing the printers in the papd.conf file as both:
        ComputerLab@printers:\
                :pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Plibprinter:
and
        ComputerLab@printers:\
                :pr=libprinter:
either method works fine for printing "by hand" from Linux, and both fail from
Macs.

>From a Macintosh, I can select any device from the "printers" zone in the
chooser, and printing seems to begin to work. When printing, the PrintMonitor
first shows

        Looking for LaserWriter ComputerLab

then, apparently having "found" the printer, the message changes to

        print spooler processing job

After several minutes, a window comes up announcing that there was a
"communication error" with the printer, and nothing has printed.

It appears that the papd process isn't accepting data being sent to the server.
None of the Linux log files show any attempt to print. Since none of the
printers are directly attached to the Linux box or are TCP/IP devices, the
input filters listed in /etc/printcap are actually scripts that call smbprint
or papd as appropriate. Those scripts provide some logging of print jobs, but
no log entries appear when the printing attempt is coming from a Mac.

I've tried running papd with the -d option (from the command line), but it also
gives no indication that anything is being accepted or printed.

Any suggestions?

--
Mark Bergman    		bergman@bups.bilkent.edu.tr
Computer Coordinator		90-312-266-4961 x141