Re: [netatalk-admins] a cold wind bloweth

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] a cold wind bloweth
From: John Barry (jbarry@eso.org)
Date: Tue May 25 1999 - 16:04:45 EDT

Hi,

Wes said:

> I recently built asun 2.1.3. My largest complaint is how difficult it
> was to build correctly. I agree that tcp wrappers should be the
> default for the AFP/TCP support. I'm not in favor of configure
> scripts. I think most decisions can be made with only the system
> version. In the case of Linux, I think we should probably be creating
> RPMs, since version skew is so rampant.

I compile stuff for a living, everything is difficult to build the first time.
Hands up those that built perl without trouble the first time?

I like configure scripts they make the job far easier, if you want to tweak
something after the fact, simply alter the config.cache and run configure over
it again, easy.

"life before autoconf" is not something I like to contemplate on an empty
stomach :)

Having built netatalk before I found the build easy once you remembered to
turn everything off.

later
jb