Re: [netatalk-admins] partition size limit?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] partition size limit?
From: tkaczma@gryf.net
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 11:54:42 EDT

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Martin Hicks wrote:

> My problem/concern is the following:
>
> Once I had fixed and restarted their server their partitions all indicate
> 1.8 gig available, but there is much more disk space there. They have 5
> mountable appleshare volumes:

I have one question (please don't take it as a snite remark)? Do you plan
to create files larger than 1.8GB?

If not, why do you care? I've run into similar problems with NFS and some
somewhat ignorant users. After aloting them a 10GB NFS filesystem they
mounted it on a machine with a 32-bit OS and then complained that they
only had 2GB of space. Obviously the tool they used expected a filesystem
size that could be described by 32bits or at most 4GB. 10 mod 4 is 2.

Now if you have a stupid OS which insists on computing free space from
totalspace minus space used you might run into some problems.

Tom