Re: [netatalk-admins] Administration of Netatalk files from a Macintosh

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Administration of Netatalk files from a Macintosh
From: Russell E Glaue (russ@cait.org)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 10:12:02 EDT

Telnet into systems as root
adduser AppleGod with group AppleGrp
change directory to the root of the volume you want to have access to with
God like priveledges. Execute this:
        chown -R AppleGod:AppleGrp .
Any file/directory that is only be to written by AppleGod do this to it:
        chmod 755 file/directory
Any file/directory that is allowed to be written to by any user in the
AppleGrp group (ie: administrators) do this to it:
        chmod 775 file/directory
Any file/directory that is allowed to be written to by guests or users who
are not members of teh AppleGrp group do this to it:
        chmod 777 file/directory
Now connect to the volume via appletalk on a mac.
Logging in as AppleGod gives you the God-like priviledges.
Logging in as a user belonging to the AppleGrp group gives you God-like
priviledges to files/directories you chmod 775 to.
Logging in as anyone else only gives you read access to files unless you
allowed read and write access to a file/directory by chmod 777 to it.
If you do not want read and write access to a file/directory place a 0 in
the appropriate position.
ie: chmod 770 file/directory
        gives file/directory read and write access for AppleGod and
AppleGrp members, but everyone else cannot read or write the
file/directory.

For more information on setting permissions on file directories, pull up
the system manuals on `chmod` and `chown`.
What I have explained is only the tip of the iceberg!!

 Russell E Glaue, Technologies Engineer russ@cait.org
 Center for the Application of Information Technologies
 101 Horrabin Hall, 1 University Circle, Macomb, Illinois 61455
 http://www.cait.org http://cait.wiu.edu