Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and remote printers

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and remote printers
From: Ryan Cleary (tryanc@interdim.com)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 14:02:25 EDT

Russell E Glaue wrote:

> Do you atleast get something to print from the remote ethernet printer?
> I assume you are using rm=ip.number.nnn.nnn in your /etc/printcap. I can't
> get jobs to print from MAC to papd to LPR of the Ethernet printer over
> TCP/IP. No one has been able to identify the problem for me so I might
> assume there is a problem with the netatalk papd code in how it deals with
> the BSD LPR in the Linux 2.2 Environment.

I was having the same problem with RedHat 6.0 and preasun2.1.4-33, but I
think I've figured out what's going on.

I think it's really a problem with the BSD lpd code. lpd doesn't like
to send queue files that are not 13 characters long to another lpd
daemon. I've looked at the lpd source (specifically, function sendit()
in lpd/printjob.c), and have a fix for the lpd code. I haven't tested
it much, but it seems to work so far.

Or, one could change papd so it only created spool files with 13
character names.

If you are interested in the details or an lpd patch, email me.

--Ryan