Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and remote printers

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and remote printers
From: Mary L Stracke (stracke@helix.nih.gov)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 14:30:22 EDT

Russell E Glaue wrote:

> Do you atleast get something to print from the remote ethernet printer?
> I assume you are using rm=ip.number.nnn.nnn in your /etc/printcap. I can't
> get jobs to print from MAC to papd to LPR of the Ethernet printer over
> TCP/IP. No one has been able to identify the problem for me so I might
> assume there is a problem with the netatalk papd code in how it deals with
> the BSD LPR in the Linux 2.2 Environment.

I can print to the dye sub printer from a Windows NT workstation over
ethernet or from the Mac (LW 8.6) using the Tektronix PhaserPort print tool,
which is TCP/IP printing via the Tektronix/Adobe Appsocket.

I did set up printcap with rm=ip.address.nnn.nnn of the printer. I tried
using the generic postscript filter for linux printing, but couldn't get it
to work. When I ran lpc status for the printer with something in the queue,
I see printing enabled, queue enabled, waiting for queue to be enabled on the
"ip.address.nnn.nnn". I haven't got a clue why I can print TCP/IP from a
Mac or a Win NT but not from the Linux box. (The printer runs at PostScript
Level 2.)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mary Stracke