Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and remote printers

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and remote printers
From: Russell E Glaue (russ@cait.org)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 14:32:43 EDT

Mary. I believe Ryan Cleary answered this for us in the previous email.
Netatalk papd is does not correctly operate with the LPD to print to
remote LPRs.
I might suggest looking at his patches if you really need this function
and cannot spool directly from the client to the printer using LPR.

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Mary L Stracke wrote:

> Russell E Glaue wrote:
>
> > Do you atleast get something to print from the remote ethernet printer?
> > I assume you are using rm=ip.number.nnn.nnn in your /etc/printcap. I can't
> > get jobs to print from MAC to papd to LPR of the Ethernet printer over
> > TCP/IP. No one has been able to identify the problem for me so I might
> > assume there is a problem with the netatalk papd code in how it deals with
> > the BSD LPR in the Linux 2.2 Environment.
>
> I can print to the dye sub printer from a Windows NT workstation over
> ethernet or from the Mac (LW 8.6) using the Tektronix PhaserPort print tool,
> which is TCP/IP printing via the Tektronix/Adobe Appsocket.
>
> I did set up printcap with rm=ip.address.nnn.nnn of the printer. I tried
> using the generic postscript filter for linux printing, but couldn't get it
> to work. When I ran lpc status for the printer with something in the queue,
> I see printing enabled, queue enabled, waiting for queue to be enabled on the
> "ip.address.nnn.nnn". I haven't got a clue why I can print TCP/IP from a
> Mac or a Win NT but not from the Linux box. (The printer runs at PostScript
> Level 2.)
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> Mary Stracke

 Russell E Glaue, Technologies Engineer russ@cait.org
 Center for the Application of Information Technologies
 101 Horrabin Hall, 1 University Circle, Macomb, Illinois 61455
 http://www.cait.org http://cait.wiu.edu