Re: [netatalk-admins] OS 8.5+ and copying applications to shared filesystems

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] OS 8.5+ and copying applications to shared filesystems
From: Brian Bergstrand (brian@stingray.cso.niu.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 09:31:28 EDT

> From: sam@shadow.org
> Hi again,
> I'm trying to make use of netatalk for our site and while I've
> been quite successful using pre-asun2.1.4-35, I seem to have run into
> some rather strange behavior.
>
> If I want to copy anything that MacOS recognizes as an
> application, using OS 8.5 or higher, the file appears to transfer
> properly but at the end the Mac shows me that the file couldn't be
> coppied because "error type -50 occured". Looking through
include/asp.h,
> it would seem that all the error codes are -50##. Not especially
useful
> it seems.
-50 and -50## are not the same error(s). -50 is 'paramErr' and -50##
are all AppleTalk
errors. pararmErr is returned from a function when one of the
parameters is invalid. For instance if a function expects a valid
pointer, but it receives a NULL instead it will return
a paramErr.

As for why you are getting the error, I can't say for sure. Does it
happen over both IP and ATALK? Is the error dependant on the size of
the file being copied? I know that 8.5 has trouble with routers
(mainly CISCO) set to some mode that I forget the name of now.

[snip]

--
Brian Bergstrand
Systems Programming, Northern Illinois University