Re: [netatalk-admins] Confiuration Problemes

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Confiuration Problemes
From: Wenchi Liao (wliao@midway.uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 27 1999 - 17:39:29 EDT

"Tom Tilmant" wrote:
>I am reposting this questions to you all. I am new with Netatalk and have
>installed the netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0-5.rpm for RH 6.0. The installation
>went great and I believe the process has started. It seems that I have only
>one process running.
>
>root 518 0.0 0.3 912 408 ? S Aug25 0:00 atalkd

any log messages? If you don't know how syslog.conf is set,
go to /var/log (or /var/adm, or whatever) and do a grep for
atalkd and afpd.

If you do "/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start" (or whatever rh
calls it) by hand, any messages? What happens if you call
afpd by hand? (look at the init file for command line
options, if any).

>But the Mac is not seeing the server. This is a small network with a few
>PC's, one Linux server, and one Mac. There is nothing at this time seeding
>the network. When I installed Netatalk, I left all config files alone and
>am running at default.

I usually skip emails about problematic redhat installs,
because it is usually installed from rpm. So a ``default''
install from rpm can means what exactly? It may be helpful
to note what these files are.

>When I try to run the afpd, I get "Segmentation fault" error.

Are you comfortable with strace? Try "strace /path/to/afpd"
and examining the results. Again, seeing if apfd managed to
dump a log message my be helpful.

My guess is that the best answer is to compile netatalk by
hand.

WL

>When I run nbplkup I get the following.
>
> ns:Workstation 65280.79:4
> ns:netatalk 65280.79:4
> <Unnamed>: Power Macintosh 65280.173:251
>
>The Unnamed Power Mac is my desktop mac. Also Appleshare IP does not work.
>
>Hopefully I have just miss configure something, hopefully one of you experts
>can guide me to light :-)

Well, afpd is what does the actual sharing, while atalkd
makes the machine visible from the chooser. So if afpd dies
with seg. fault, any kind of file sharing isn't going to
work.

WL