Re: [netatalk-admins] ok - now what?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] ok - now what?
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 11:12:34 EDT

Quoting thomas.riewe@zeitung-zum-sonntag.de (thomas.riewe@zeitung-zum-sonntag.de) from Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 02:20:31PM +0200:

> gessin' You mean mounting the ressources of a mac runnin' mac-OS-xy ?
> then : this is NOT a feature of NetATalk for that purpose You'll have to
> use something like NFS or as posted here before:

Oh, the irony, here, inasmuch as I was the one who posted here before..
(and apologies for the offtopicness)

> Longer answer: you can get afpfs, which is sort of the opposite of
> netatalk and similar conceptually to nfs. Compile into your kernel
> (but not a linux-2.2.x one, unless you're ready to go a-patching)
> and you can mount appleshared volumes like any other FS. Or, you
> can just use nfs; there's a free mac nfsd on HyperArchive.

Has anyone had any luck with Jude's macnfsd and Linux nfs? I've found
it to work half-decently for reads, but writes get stale locks after
less than a second. Makes backing up that way kind of tricky :-)

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Information and Instructional Technology Services