Re: [netatalk-admins] what's this mean?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] what's this mean?
From: Ron Chmara (ron@Opus1.COM)
Date: Mon Sep 20 1999 - 17:33:24 EDT

Benjamin Lee wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Jeff Davis wrote:
> > Benjamin,
> > Modify your atalkd.conf so that it just has the interface (eth0) and
> > the zone, then restart atalk in etc/rc.d/init.d.
> hi,
> thanks for the input.
> unfortunately i've already tried this. it still comes up with the same
> bind error.
> i think just eth0 and zone won't work because i have no router seeding the
> network. is this correct?

Er... no router, no Zone, yup. You need to be getting a number in the upper
ranges if you have no Appletalk router....

> unplug my linux box from the network...
> (for some reason i think there's something on my network that's
> preventing atalk to successfully assign addresses. funny as i only have
> one mac on the net! ;-} )

No routers? No boxes running Xinet? Helios? CAP? NT? Lots of things can
be appletalk routers. Cisco routers, little gator boxes, etc. etc.

> start up atalkd...
> wait till ifconfig shows nice ethertalk addresses...
> plug the network back in...
> and low and behold, we're good to go.

It sounds like something is responding to Zone packets, but
not seeding properly, or you have natatalk set up to look
for a zone that ain't there. On you mac, what zones does
it have, and what's the alatlk numbers?

> anyone know what's going on though?

Just guessing...
-Bop

--
from the desktop of bop.hollis.com, a RedHat Linux 6.0/Win95/Win98
test machine, currently in Linux. Your bopping may vary.