[netatalk-admins] Newbie with problems

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Newbie with problems
From: Paul Stephens (pauls@burnet.edu.au)
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 19:04:28 EDT

Hi,

I know that this has probably been already answered in previous FAQ's, but
I either couldn't understand the answers, (or else just stupid), when I
went through them.

Anyway, I have just changed over to Netatalk ( ) from CAP V6.0 after
upgrading our Sun server to SOLARIS 2.7 (7, 5.7,etc) from 2.5.1.
Everything has gone really well except that none of our Apple users files
can be recognised unless I copy them all down from the server through the
old separate CAP sun server, (which I restarted again with the users drives
NFS'd to it), to the users Mac and then back to the new server running the
Netatalk. When I do this all the file icons and types are great. I have
checked that the default Unrecognised file type is NOT text (current
setting is: . BINA UNIX) and so far the files aren't getting corrupted
by the system at all. I also have a fairly large file translation list in
the AppleVolumes.system file, although I can't seem to get my hands on the
complete lists mentioned in previous years FAQ's.

I guess it comes down to: Is there any easier way of getting Netatalk to
recognise files currently on the system (apart from MS word files which for
some reason it does recognise), without having to copy them through the old
CAP system into the new netatalk via a Mac - there are about 60 users each
with up to 1GB of files.

Thanks in advance for any help to a dumb newbie.

regards

Paul Stephens
IT Manager
Macfarlane Burnet Centre for Medical Research
Yarra Bend Road
Fairfield Victoria 3078

Ph: +61 3 9282 2181
Fax: +61 3 9282 2100
Email: pauls@burnet.edu.au

"If you think NT is the answer, you didn't understand the question"