Re: [netatalk-admins] Newbie with problems

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Newbie with problems
From: Stuart Mackay (stuart@chem.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 28 1999 - 06:01:33 EDT

Paul Stephens <pauls@burnet.edu.au> wrote:

>Anyway, I have just changed over to Netatalk ( ) from CAP V6.0 after
>upgrading our Sun server to SOLARIS 2.7 (7, 5.7,etc) from 2.5.1.
>Everything has gone really well except that none of our Apple users files
>can be recognised unless I copy them all down from the server through the
>old separate CAP sun server,

We've just been through converting our system in exactly the same way.
CAP stores Mac-style resource and finderinfo stuff in a different way
from netatalk. A clever person in our department wrote a program which
converts files (running on the Solaris server) by reading using the CAP
format and writing using the netatalk appledouble libraries. There are
some restrictions - it doesn't understand compressed resource forks and
we had to fiddle the afpd to help folders with custom icons convert
correctly into appledouble version one format.

He also cooked-up a program to rebuild the desktop on each separate
volume, as the Mac can't be persuaded to do this. This fixes icon
issues with applications on the server volumes. Again, there are
limitations as it does not get the colour icons all right.

If we can figure out the copyright issues of mixing the two libraries, and
I can persuade the author to make the code presentable, we hope to submit
these additions to the asun package. We also have CAP-style basic print
authentication by requiring users to mount a volume before printing. As of
8pm last night it's in production use, so wish us luck !

Cheers,
Stuart Mackay.

Stuart Mackay                                Voice: +44 (0)141 330 2906
Internet: stuart@chem.gla.ac.uk                FAX: +44 (0)141 330 4419
Lab. A5-26, Chemistry Department, Glasgow University, Glasgow, UK, G12 8QQ