Re: [netatalk-admins] Configuring a print server]

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Configuring a print server]
From: Brian Bergstrand (brian@stingray.cso.niu.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 09:54:35 EST

> Thanks to all who replied. My problem was indeed an improper
kernel config,
> exacerbated by FreeBSD's lack of feedback via dmesg.
>
> I have now rebuilt my kernel with NETATALK turned on. After I
rebooted, I
> was able to start atalkd, and it was even nice enough to reconfigure my
> atalkd.conf file with correct numbering. After that, my print
server could
> see the zone I had specified. However, the iMac could not, and it
could not
> see the print server either. Any idea how to make the iMac see my
zone?

Are you connected to a switch that has the Spanning Tree protocol
turned on?
If so, any Mac running 8.5 or above will have major problems with
AppleTalk, and I have
even heard they have problems with IP. Check out
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n30922 for more info.

> Also, I seem to have a bigger problem. I tried to start atalkd in my
> rc.local, but I get this error message when my machine starts up:
>
> Nov 8 20:11:08 FreeBSD atalkd[1809]: bind 41201.6:6: Address
already in use
> Nov 8 20:11:08 FreeBSD atalkd[1809]: bind 41201.6:6: Address
already in use
> AppleTalk not up! Child exited with 1.

Try 'nbplkup' to see if you can list the AppleTalk devices on your
network. This could
also be related to the Spanning Tree problem, or your netatalk
server might be getting
crap back from your router.

--
Brian Bergstrand
Systems Programmer, Northern Illinois University