Re: [netatalk-admins] I would like to know the answer as well?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] I would like to know the answer as well?
From: Tony Grant (tg001@dial.oleane.com)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 09:58:18 EST

Hauke Fath wrote:

> >man pages are OK but real live HTML docs are todays answer to man pages
> >IMHO.
>
> ??? Both serve two entirely different purposes. man pages are intended as a
> quick _reference_ and as such are meant to be terse. One, at most two
> pages, not more. Some of the man pages^Wbooks I have seen on linux defeat
> that purpose, though. =8/

Exactly - man pages for geeks and html for us lower mortels! I am still
fighting with some of the less terse ones...

> Tutorials and HowTo documents are well-suited for html, but when you need
> those it is pretty clear you have to take your time, anyway.
>
> And if you feel you cannot do without html docs, there are ?roff-to-html
> converters.

Some GUI do this automatically. We normal folk would like to have this
generalised as we tend to live in X-Windows and on a 1600x1200 monitor
reading man pages in an x-term is not much fun. Just a thought - a
/usr/doc/HTML/man with symbolic links to /usr/man and troff-to-html
could be an easy thing to do?

Cheers

Tony Grant