Re: [netatalk-admins] alias test

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] alias test
From: a sun (asun@cobalt.com)
Date: Sun Nov 21 1999 - 21:50:47 EST

   I thought my alias problems were gone with the 2.1.3 release.

i guess i should step in here and clarify the issue. aliases will get
confused with mac oses that are pre-8.6. that's because netatalk
doesn't currently have a notion of a permanent directory/file id. the
mac os alias manager happens to use that to shortcut aliases. in 8.6,
the alias manager will actually resolve the pathname that's also
stored in the alias file, so aliases will work if you don't already
have a file/directory id dynamically allocated to it. unfortunately,
if you do, things get confused again.

oh yeah, there's some preliminary work in my current development
snapshot for persistent file/directory id support. however, i decided
to hold off on that for the full-blown db support that netatalk
needs.

does that clarify things?

-a